Saturday, April 18, 2009

Using Technology For Higher-Level Thinking: Am I?

I have been reading a lot of blogs lately. I am overwhelmed with the number of ways teachers have used technology in the classroom. I have barely tapped the surface of what can be done. Every time I read something new I want to try it. Is it too much? I guess I have come to a point of reflection. Am I integrating technology because it is fun and I enjoy trying new things, or because it is good for students and their academic growth?

Robert Marzano's research shows that students whose teachers use technology 75% of the day will have greater academic growth than those students whose teachers do not use technology. The study focuses on the use of the Promethean Activboard, but I bet if I looked for more research I could find something about 1:1 computing as well. Marzano’s research also talked about that the true academic growth for students came from the training of teachers and their ability to use the technology effectively.

I have many tools available to use; plenty of computers, Moodle, an Activboard and all the web 2.0 resources. I find myself using them a lot and the students are enjoying the activities and are very engaged. Many of my students lack a strong base of knowledge. I do spend a lot of time building background knowledge. The technology keeps the students engaged as we review material, build vocabulary and other basic information. I do worry that I am not using the technology to help students move beyond the basics. Teaching in gifted education should be about critical thinking and working beyond the basics.

I believe I am getting the training I need integrate technology in my classroom. I know when and how to use it. I have been so focused on using the technology that I may have forgotten my purpose in teaching. I plan to spend my weekend reflecting on whether or not my use of technology is engaging my students in higher-level thinking or just recall and basic comprehension. My guess is I am, but I need to spend more time when I plan my use of technology to ensure that it focuses on higher-level thinking.

I would love to hear from other teachers and how they are using technology to go beyond the basics in their classroom.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain! Don't stress. Use technology as a tool... Identify ways to extend technology and increase rigor. Don't just use technology for technology's sake. You are fortunate to have so many technology applications available to you. Consider using them not only as a teaching tool but as a way for students to create a higher level product. For example, have students create a webquest instead of a research paper, or ask a multiple choice question with Promethian board and extend thinking with defending your answer strategies. Good luck! Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete